OSX Mavericks

's Avatar

inge_asheim

23 Oct, 2013 12:58 PM

Hi :)

There seem to be a problem with the tvshow app in Mavericks. It won't stay open. Can you please fix this.

1. 1 Posted by Tim Moore on 24 Oct, 2013 09:15 PM

Do we need to take up a collection so you guys can get off your asses and fix this thing? Sayin' "Oh we haven't really fucked with it on Mavericks yet so no support is lame. I would like to keep using this app. If you're not going to fix this then Fix it and charge for the fixed version. WTH!

2. 2 Posted by dm on 24 Oct, 2013 09:17 PM

i just sent them 20.00 i hope they still are listening.. and watching.. this really is an amazing app and there really is no alternative.

3. 3 Posted by Bruno on 25 Oct, 2013 02:31 AM

" * 2 Posted by Tim Moore on Oct 25, 2013 @ 07:15 AM

Do we need to take up a collection so you guys can get off your asses and fix this thing? Sayin' "Oh we haven't really fucked with it on Mavericks yet so no support is lame. I would like to keep using this app. If you're not going to fix this then Fix it and charge for the fixed version. WTH! * "

Hey ** Tim Moore ** you don't have to be an idiot. They make this for free, what the fuck are you complaining about?

Why don't you go and make the app yourself?

4. 4 Posted by Bruno on 25 Oct, 2013 04:08 AM

I tried relaunching when crash with Lingon but it doesn't work because the helper will create a new log file for each crash so there's no way to monitor a log file.

So in the meantime you can create a cron job to start the helper every couple of minutes. it will launch, stay there for 10-15 seconds and crash again. those 10-15 seconds are just enough to get some files. then next time it launches, will get a few more and so on.

If you installed TVShows for your user only, follow the instructions; if you installed to all users, add sudo before the comands (e.g. "$ crontab -e" turns into "$ sudo crontab -e").

note 01: quotes are used here for formatting purpose, please do not use quotes inyour commands.
    note 02: $ is the command prompt that shows you are logged as a normal user, you don't have to type this. # also means that but when you are logged as root.

$ crontab -l
    > this command will open vi (the editor) to create a cron line. press "i" to start typing.

write below line as is:
    */2 * * * * ~/Library/PreferencePanes/TVShows.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TVShowsHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/TVShowsHelper > /dev/null 2>&

once done, press ESC (the key on the top left corner of your keyboard) and then below:
    :wq

this will save your cron job.

EXPLANATION:
    */2 * * * * means the job will run every 2 minutes. you can change the 2 to any number from 1 to 59. if you want every hour, you can change the line to * */1 * * *

more information about the cron dates and times search for "crontab" on google, wikipedia has a good explanation and it should be the first result.

~/Library/PreferencePanes/TVShows.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TVShowsHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/TVShowsHelper this is the app you want to run.

> /dev/null 2>&1 this will not save a system log.

PLEASE BE AWARE: every time TVShowsHelper crashes it will save a log. normally it would be called TVShowsHelper_DATE-TIME_casterlyrock.crash

In my case because I have a script to call the app and that script is in my cron, I get log files called "running job_DATE-TIME_casterlyrock.crash". In any case, these files are usually 45KB so you will get one of these every time you run, so every 2 minutes.

the log files are stored in "/Users/bruno/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/" (Mac OS X Mavericks) and you should consider deleting them often. you can write a script do to so and add to the cron as well:

in my case I have a folder called "scripts" in my home folder (/Users/YOURUSERNAME/scripts) so I will consider you have one as well:
    $ vi /Users/YOURYUSERNAME/scripts/delete_temp_file
    press "i" to edit the file
    type "#!/bin/sh" (without quotes)
    type rm /Users/bruno/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/running*
    type rm /Users/bruno/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/TVShowsHelper*
    press ESC
    type :wq to save and quit

$ chmod +x /Users/YOURYUSERNAME/scripts/delete_temp_file
    this will make your file executable

to add to crontab:
    $ crontab -e
    press "i" (without quotes) to edit
    go to the end of the line you added before and press ENTER (RETURN) to create start a new line
    type the time/date code you want (e.g. */2 * * * *), full path to your script and the code to not log to system:
    * */2 * * * /Users/YOURYUSERNAME/scripts/delete_temp_file > /dev/null 2>&
    above line will run your script every 2 hours.

this is a very manual and temporary way to continue to get the shows you want until they fix it for mavericks.

hope this will help you.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Cristina Gómez on 28 Oct, 2013 09:41 AM

Hi all,

First of all, I'm really sorry for the late reply but I was on a trip last week so I wasn't able to read/reply all my e-mails in a timely manner.

Second, there's no need to be rude. Besides TVShows being free, it's maintained by two people who have our daytime jobs and work on TVShows on our free time, so sometimes we don't get to update the app in time for a new OS... Anyway, I'm glad we have awesome users, so Thank You dm for your donation (yes we are still listening and working on TVShows ;) ), and Thank You Bruno for your kind words and for coming up with a workaround.

That said, here's how things are with TVShows on Mavericks:

• We haven't thoroughly tested it, so we're not supporting it (yet). That only means that we can't deal with individual support cases as usual (by looking at the user logs, etc.) until we have tested it and released a new version if necessary, it doesn't mean that we don't care.
    • We're testing it as we speak, and we hope to release an update soon that works on Mavericks. Then, we will be able to provide support for Mavericks users.
    • For some users it's working, for some others it's not. From what we have tested, it seems having custom subscriptions makes it crash, so if you have, you can try deleting them and see if it stays open. Please understand that I'm just saying this as a suggestion, it doesn't mean it will work if you don't have custom subscriptions.
  6. 6 Posted by Grant Crosthwai... on 28 Oct, 2013 10:37 AM

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for the update. Just in case it helps I thought I'd let you know that I tried to delete the custom subscriptions I have but tvshows crashes when I select one.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Cristina Gómez on 28 Oct, 2013 10:54 AM

Hi Grant,

Ouch, I didn't think of that, sorry. I guess you could manually delete them from the subscriptions file, but since this involves deleting portions of code from a file and it doesn't guarantee that TVShows will work (but it can definitely break your subscriptions) I wouldn't advise that. If you're willing to add all subscriptions one by one you can uninstall TVShows and install it from scratch ;)

But maybe the suggestion can work for someone who hasn't updated to Mavericks yet.

8. 8 Posted by Bruno on 28 Oct, 2013 11:11 AM

Hi Cristina,

Tks for the update and welcome back.

I can confirm deleting the custom subscriptions works for me.

Grant, I had the same problem: trying to delete a custom subscription will crash tvshows.prefpane.

The workaround for this is to remove it from the subscription file.

To do so ( AT YOUR OWN RISK ):

• open Finder;

• on the menu bar, click Go;

• holding option (alt) will show you Library. Click on it;

• go to Application Support > TVShows 2;

• make a copy of the Subscriptions file, just in case;

• open Subscriptions file;

• search for your custom subscription;

• delete everything in between and for THAT SUBSCRIPTION ONLY;

• delete any lines in between the above and below, just in case;

• save the file.

Please see attached example.

PS: WHILE WRITING THIS CRISTINA REPLIED TO GRANT SAYING SHE WOULDN'T ADVISE TO MANUALLY FROM FILE AND I DON'T ADVISE EITHER. PLEASE DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU FEEL CONFIDENT TO DO SO GO AHEAD, OTHERWISE WAIT FOR A FIX. THIS DEFINITELY WORKS IF YOU DO IT RIGHT

PS2: IF YOU USED MY CRONTAB WORKAROUND AND FIX TVSHOWS WITH THIS GUIDE, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE CRONTAB LINE OR YOU WILL HAVE A NEW TVSHOWS APP OPENING EVERY 2 MINUTES

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Cristina Gómez on 28 Oct, 2013 11:41 AM

Thanks Bruno, I deliberately omitted explaining how to manually edit the subscriptions file to avoid non-advanced users doing it without taking the necessary precautions (I already explained here that the "no custom subscriptions" was just a suggestion and that Mavericks is still unsupported, but yet some user asked how to delete them because it crashed - I'm not talking about you Grant, your message was helpful and not at all demanding ;) ), but since you already explained it, I edited your comment so the bold parts are really bold (it was set as plain text, I just changed it to Markdown and added spaces between the parenthesis and the bold markers because it doesn't apply the formatting if there are no spaces).

And just in case, if you want to try the method Bruno explained, BACKUP YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS FILE FIRST.

10. 10 Posted by Bruno Spotorno ... on 28 Oct, 2013 11:45 AM

Hi Cristina,

Tks for fixing the post.

Yes guys always BACKUP before messing around with files :)

11. 11 Posted by Grant Crosthwai... on 28 Oct, 2013 12:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. :)

I got brave and tried the method for deleting custom subscriptions suggested by Bruno. (I backed up my subscriptions file first though). I just want to report that I did it without any difficulty due to the excellent instructions from Bruno.

As for the result; all seems to be back working as normal again. :)

You guys are awesome. For everyone of us who come here to say "thanks" there are many hundreds who don't make the trip. You really are appreciated and the Tim Moores of this world should be ignored. I for one am delighted that you do what you do - and that you do it so well and for free. Thank you from Australia. :)

12. 12 Posted by Grant Crosthwai... on 28 Oct, 2013 12:39 PM

Just one more thought: perhaps removing the links to the page on custom subscriptions using Yahoo Pipes might be useful until this is resolved could be useful?
    (http://support.tvshowsapp.com/kb/managing-sources/adding-a-custom-show-with-yahoo-pipes)

13. 13 Posted by Frank Petrie on 28 Oct, 2013 05:42 PM

Please ... hurry! I'm having withdrawals! :-)

14. 14 Posted by dlglanville on 28 Oct, 2013 06:38 PM

Hi Christine,
    Want to say thank you to you and Victor for all your efforts.

Also wish to say that prior to doing any major upgrades I check the compatibility of critical apps that I depend. Sites like http://roaringapps.com can help with this.

All users, especially guys like Tim Moore, should take some responsibility for management of their systems and not blame others for their rash errors.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
                 Dave

15. 15 Posted by Tim Moore on 28 Oct, 2013 07:07 PM

@Bruno, thanks for calling me an idiot but at least these guys are working the problem now. The cryptic twitter message they left had me thinking they siad, "Screw this thing!" but they are at least now responsive. As for building my own app I''ve lease that to the people that do that. Thanks TVShows, Glad you didn't give up.

16. 16 Posted by Tim Moore on 29 Oct, 2013 12:32 AM

Tried Bruno's method and it worked for me. Thanks Bruno!

17. 17 Posted by Bruno on 29 Oct, 2013 12:34 AM

Tim, good to hear.

You see, looking for solutions is always more constructive than complaining :)

18. 18 Posted by Tim Moore on 29 Oct, 2013 12:52 AM

@Bruno, nope complaining sparks dialogue. ;)

19. 19 Posted by Martin on 29 Oct, 2013 02:04 AM

Tim,

Can't you just swallow that huge ego of yours and apologize for being a dick?

Following up with reasons why you were rude just makes you look immature.

20. 20 Posted by Tim Moore on 29 Oct, 2013 04:52 AM

@Martin, no because I'm not your dick so don't confuse me with it. You're showing something too and it's not all that good looking either friend. Besides I already said thanks to Bruno anyway. R.I.F. reading is fundamental.

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Cristina Gómez on 29 Oct, 2013 09:01 AM

Hi all,

Tim, we're not working the problem now, and certainly not because of your message (which was in no way encouraging). As I explained before, the release of Mavericks caught me on a trip so I was only able to write a couple of tweets (which, by the way, weren't at all cryptic: I think "yet" means "not now, but it will" more than it means "screw it"): so Mavericks is out… remember it isn’t supported yet, we have to test it first (and probably update it). No ETA for the moment, sorry. / thanks for all the comments!!! For some of you it’s working, but not for others… we have to thoroughly test it so it works for all of you ;) (which part made you think we were saying "Screw this thing!"???) Anyway, if we at any point decide to give up on TVShows (I hope not, but it really doesn't depend on me, since I don't know anything about programming) I hope we can get some respect, remember we don't owe you anything (we wouldn't even if we charged you for the app, but we aren't).

That said, I would ask you all to please stop insulting each other.

22. 22 Posted by Tom on 29 Oct, 2013 06:25 PM

Well said! Thanks for an outstanding product - be sure to know there are many who appreciate your efforts and use your product on a regular basis. Keep up the good work - now I'm off to find your donate page and send some love!

23. 23 Posted by Tim Moore on 29 Oct, 2013 07:11 PM

Cristina Gómez OK.

24. 24 Posted by Hughston Tom on 29 Oct, 2013 08:47 PM

My bad - sorry

Tom Hughston

25. 25 Posted by Mike Newman on 30 Oct, 2013 12:29 AM

I copied and then edited the original subscriptions file:

~/Library/Application Support/TVShows 2/Subscriptions

The first time I ran TVShows, the deleted custom subscriptions got added back in! Very weird. Second time around the deletions stuck. Seems to be working OK now. Thanks for the fix.

26. 26 Posted by Fernando Del Ca... on 30 Oct, 2013 05:16 AM

Dear and admired TvShows2 staff, I don't intend to bother you, but I think I have a valid question (from the P.OV. of a non-expert user) When you think you will ready to publish a fix? (And excuse my poor english too, please)...

27. Support Staff 27 Posted by Cristina Gómez on 30 Oct, 2013 09:16 AM

Hola Fernando,

Esperamos que pronto, pero no sabemos qué problemas vamos a encontrarnos que nos hagan retrasarlo (por ejemplo, el tema de las suscripciones parece solucionado pero hemos encontrado otro con la lista de series), por lo que prefiero no dar fechas.

(for everyone else: I just told him we have no ETA yet because we don't know what kind of problems we may detect)

28. 28 Posted by Peter on 30 Oct, 2013 02:08 PM

I think Bruno's method worked for me. Many thanks and keep up the good work guys.

29. 29 Posted by Fernando Del Ca... on 30 Oct, 2013 07:29 PM

Hola Cristina, gracias por tu honesta respuesta. No sé si el problema que experimento es el mismo que otros ya han reportado, pero creo que no por lo que alcanzo a leer. A mi sí me corre la aplicación, no se bloquea ni nada, simplemente perdió la facultad de activar la tarea automática de torrent al detectar capítulos nuevos. ¿Hay algún consejo para resolver esto provisionalmente?

30. Support Staff 30 Posted by Cristina Gómez on 31 Oct, 2013 09:05 AM

Hola Fernando,

Por favor, entiende que si estamos testeando la app para ver qué problemas hay no es muy práctico ponernos a revisar caso por caso por si tienes algo mal configurado o "simplemente" no te va por la incompatibilidad con Mavericks. Solo comenté lo de las suscripciones personalizadas porque era algo que habíamos detectado que hacía que fallara consistentemente. Puedes revisar tú mismo tu configuración, con nuestra base de conocimientos como referencia.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac